Recipe and photo courtesy of Umami Girl
This recipe makes a satisfying plant-based main dish with a big green salad alongside.
- 1 cup (uncooked) brown basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 6 cups mixed fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (chanterelles, chestnuts, shiitakes, and oysters are good choices)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- About 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
1. Place the rice in a medium pot with two scant cups cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook until water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a wide skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, still stirring occasionally, until they have reduced in volume by about half and reabsorbed any water they’ve given off during cooking, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, one minute more. Add the spinach to the pan and cook, stirring, until just wilted.
3. When the rice and the mushroom mixture are both cooked, scrape the mushroom mixture into the pot with the rice. Add the soy sauce and chives and stir together gently but thoroughly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6