It seems that just about all holiday foliage can leave a bad taste in your mouth—and for children and pets, a potentially deadly one. Some of the more common leafed culprits include:
Holly (Ilex): A handful of berries from the shrub can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death in young children and pets. While the berries are most commonly eaten by mistake, all of the plant is poisonous.
Mistletoe (Phoradendron): The kissing plant packs a poisonous wallop. It’s loaded with phoratoxin, which can cause blurred vision, nausea, abdominal pain, diarrhea, changes in blood pressure, and even death when eaten.
Poinsettia (Euphorbia): The red-leafed plant has a reputation as highly dangerous holiday foliage, but its toxicity is mild. Ingesting leaves will most likely result in an upset stomach, but it’s not poisonous.
(Photo: C. Sappa/Getty Images)