Kale Salad Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Clean Plates
Whether you’re a meat-and-potatoes lover, a vegetarian or going gluten-free, Clean Plates takes the grunt work out of eating healthier. Founded by nutritionist Jared Koch, it features a free email, iPhone app, restaurant guides, food news and tips. If you eat…get fed by Clean Plates by signing up for their email here.
Inspired by and adapted from The Clean Plates Cookbook
• 3⁄4 cup diced kabocha or butternut squash
• 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, or more to taste
• 2 1⁄2 cups chopped or shredded kale, ideally Tuscan or black kale
• 1⁄4 cup whole almonds, toasted
• 1⁄4 cup crumbled aged Cheddar cheese, such as Cabot Clothbound Cheddar
• 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more to taste
• Fine sea salt to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
• Pecorino or other hard cheese, for shaving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the squash and 11/2 teaspoons of the oil. Arrange in a single layer on a small, rimmed baking sheet and bake until tender, 10 to 12minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, combine the squash, kale, almonds, and Cheddar cheese. Add the lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and toss to combine. Add more lemon juice, more oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Arrange the kale salad on plates or a platter, garnish with shaved pecorino cheese (if using), and serve.