Completed in 1905, Thompson Library was designed by Francis R. Allen and Charles Collens. Stone in the library's central hall is carved with Vassar's seal, as well as those of other schools founded as women's colleges, such as Smith, Bryn Mawr, and Wellesley. Seals from what were once men's institutions also appear, including those of Oxford, Yale, and Harvard. This was to remind the women of Vassar that their education was at an equal level with their male counterparts'.
(Photo: Jim Mills/Wikimedia)