The Daily Fix: After Obama Promised to Respond to Sony Attack, North Korea Denies Accusation and Issues a New Threat
Denying accusations, North Korea offered to join the United States in getting to the bottom of the cyber attack on Sony. It also issued a warning.
An unnamed spokesperson for the North Korean foreign ministry made the announcement in a statement on Saturday, reported Reuters.
“We propose to conduct a joint investigation with the U.S. in response to groundless slander being perpetrated by the U.S. by mobilizing public opinion,” said the spokesperson. “If the U.S. refuses to accept our proposal for a joint investigation and continues to talk about some kind of response by dragging us into the case, it must be remember there will be grave consequences.”
Federal investigators concluded on Friday that North Korea was responsible for the hacking incident that surfaced last month. The group Guardians of Peace, credited for the attack, warned against the release of The Interview, a satire depicting North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un. Sony canceled the movie’s premiere this week, a move criticized by President Obama.
“We cannot have a society in which some dictator someplace can start imposing censorship,” he said in his end-of-year press conference on Friday. “We will respond; we will respond proportionally.”
In other news…
That’s a First: In his last press conference of the year, President Obama did something historic: He only called on women reporters, and they all worked for print publications. (via The Washington Post)
New Ray Rice Footage: ABC News posted a new 45-minute video showing NFL player Ray Rice and his then fiancé Janay Palmer after he punched her in an elevator in February. It shows the couple kissing in the same elevator before both getting arrested for assault that same night. It’s reported that Rice, who’s now a free agent in the NFL after winning his appeal, tried to legally block the release of the footage. (via ABC News)
McDonald’s Gets Its Comeuppance: The National Labor Relations Board slammed the fast-food giant and some of its franchisees with 78 cases claiming violation of workers’ rights. It’s a groundbreaking move that means the world’s biggest restaurant chain could be held responsible as a “joint employer” for its franchise operations. (via The Wall Street Journal)
The Daily Fix is your chance to act today to change tomorrow’s headlines by taking action on the latest stories. Look for links to petitions, pledges, and other social actions embedded throughout these news items.