Introducing TakePart Tastemakers: Our Guide to Food Done Right
We all want to do our part to change the way we eat and support businesses that are doing the right thing. But sometimes it’s hard to know where to look—especially when most of us are used to just popping down to the neighborhood grocery store.
Today we’re making it just a little bit easier.
Over the past several weeks, TakePart’s team of acclaimed food journalists fanned out across America to discover the country’s most colorful and exceptional food finds. And today we’re excited to announce what we found with our inaugural list of TakePart Tastemakers.
We’re celebrating the small food-focused businesses that embrace the food principles that we admire, like local, sustainable, artisanal, organic, humane, and unprocessed. We’ve got 10 fantastic finds in 10 cities: Boston, New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Minneapolis-St.Paul, Austin, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle.
Are these businesses perfect? Of course not. But none of us are—yet. What they are is daring and innovative, inspiring and fun. Most of all, they’re trying to make a difference. Real food, done right.
Among the places that made the cut:
- Wilson Farm (Boston, MA): Open since 1884, this bustling farm has maintained its commitment to home-grown food, with over 150 crops on 600 acres. Its on-site grocery store has a resident “chef” who uses seasonal fruits and vegetables to make popular to-go quiches, soups and stews.
- Lindy & Grundy Local, Pastured and Organic Meats (Los Angeles, CA): Offering sustainably raised beef, lamb, pork, sausage, poultry and cheese, as well as an on-site smoker, Lindy & Grundy is one of the coolest new additions to the city’s boutique butcheries.
- The Fizzary (San Francisco, CA): Capturing the old-time feeling of a community store, this new soda pop and candy shop offers real cane-sugar alternatives in place of mass-market, highly processed high-fructose corn syrup.
But we’re doing more than just showing you where to shop. We’re also providing you with three easy ways to help make this the most sustainable, local, and humane holiday season ever. With TakePart Tastemakers, we’re showing you how you can:
- Join a CSA, have fresh produce delivered to your home, and support local farmers.
- Urge the government to protect food safety and not drastically cut poultry inspection times.
- Pledge to have a sustainable holiday season.
In the coming weeks, we’ll also be premiering an exclusive video series featuring TakePart’s Cheap, Sustainable Delicious chef Ian Knauer highlighting some of our Los Angeles Tastemakers and demonstrating some innovative holiday recipes using local, artisanal, small-batch, and sustainable ingredients.
Check out the complete list of TakePart Tastemakers, and let your pantry makeover begin!